The short version is that Warren has spent most of her life fighting for progressive values, and winning! In my opinion, she has the best chance of fixing U.S. healthcare, fighting income inequality, and winning the election against Trump.
Here are a few of the reasons why I think she’s the best choice:
- Warren wins. She won a difficult Senate race against a popular, well-funded Republican. When Warren faces a tough problem, she gets excited and energized. Campaigning against Trump will be a very tough problem.
- Warren gets things done. As a law professor, Warren envisioned and created the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, which has forced corporations to return more than $12 billion to ordinary Americans. As a Senator, she was primary sponsor of 9 successful bills in 8 years.
- Warren is quick-witted and impossible to fluster. She won trophies for debate, taught in public school, became a lawyer, and taught law school—and it shows. She obliterated Bloomberg in the first five minutes of his first debate and will do the same to Trump.
- Warren learns and adapts quickly. Warren sticks to her principles but is willing to change her tactics and message as necessary. She rarely lets her ego or self-image get in the way.
- Warren responds well to criticism. When she makes a mistake, she listens to the people who tell her how she messed up. Warren went from the candidate who didn’t know the difference between a DNA test and tribal membership to the candidate with the best, most comprehensive plan for honoring and empowering tribal nations and indigenous peoples—and the endorsement of Deb Haaland, one of the first two Native American woman elected to Congress.
- Warren builds coalitions. She welcomes new allies without leaving behind the most marginalized among us. She holds firm on reproductive rights for people with uteruses, puts communities of color first in her climate change plans, and plans to invest billions in childcare and education. I trust her not to treat vulnerable people like bargaining chips.
- Warren attracts kind, competent people. Every volunteer event I’ve attended for Warren has been a delight: welcoming, inclusive, organized, and effective. Warren makes smart hiring decisions and puts a lot of thought into which endorsements to give and accept.
- Many people like and respect Warren. I’ve volunteered for a lot of political campaigns, and it’s striking how warmly and positively people talk about Warren, even when they’ve decided that they should vote for another candidate. It will be easy for her to build a winning coalition.
If you’re genuinely considering voting for Elizabeth Warren, and want more information, I’d be happy to answer your questions in the comments or by email. You can also check out all of her (detailed! effective! brilliant!) plans here. I’m also happy to share my experiences volunteering for Warren. (If you have more money than time, you can always donate to the Warren campaign as well.)
Thank you for reading! Let’s get out and vote!